Monday, April 6, 2009

“Getting into trouble, and out again”

James, the brother of Jesus, gives us a piercing look at the descent into trouble:

"But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death." (James 1:14-15)

We are all a familiar with this pattern: Misplaced Desire -> Temptation -> Sin -> Death. We have seen it in others. We have seen it in ourselves. Biblical scholar Daniel Doriani says, "When we indulge our sinful desires, sin becomes a pattern and eventually, a life dominating force." When we are caught in this death cycle it seems like there is no way out. But James also gives a promise to hang onto:

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." (James 1:17)

When we are caught in the snares of sin, God gives us good gifts to get us out again! Consider these seven gifts from God:

God's gifts to get us out of trouble:

  1. Surrender to the gospel. Getting caught is a great gift because it reveals the underlying truth about addictions: I cannot set myself free, I must be set free! I go to the cross to see my sin – it's guilt and it's power, destroyed. I preach the gospel of God's free grace to myself every day.
  2. Separate from sin. I cut myself off from sin's strongholds. That might mean using internet blocking and accountability software, walking away from gossipy conversations, or relationships that pressure me to compromise. Be ruthless with sin!
  3. Surround yourself with faithful & honest friends. I find friends who will speak truth into my life, even if it is hard to hear. I share my struggles and bring them into the loop. I invite gracious inspection and feedback.
  4. Study yourself. Know where and when you are weak. Investigate why you are tempted in that particular area and not another.
  5. Scour your soul for idols. What idols are fighting for attention from you? The idol of comfort? The idol of security? The applause of man? The idol that says "you deserve this!"? Make a fearful and searching moral inventory.
  6. Satisfy your soul in the Lord! To quote someone who says it better that I could:

    "Cultivate the capacities for pleasure in Christ. One reason [sin] reigns in so many is that Christ has so little appeal. We default to deceit because we have little delight in Christ. Don't say, "That's just not me." What steps have you taken to waken affection for Jesus? Have you fought for joy? Don't be fatalistic. You were created to treasure Christ with all your heart - more than you treasure sex or sugar. If you have little taste for Jesus, competing pleasures will triumph. Plead with God for the satisfaction you don't have: "Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days" (Psalm 90:14). Then look, look, look at the most magnificent Person in the universe until you see him the way he is" – John Piper

The well wisher of your soul's happiness,

Pastor Tom



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these thoughts. I also agree that accountability software is a great resource for those wanting to avoid temptation.

Have you heard of Covenant Eyes?

tom said...

Yep - that's one that I use (along with K9 Webprotect)!