Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Old Friends…

One of the benefits of reading through the Bible in a systematic way is that you come across "old friends" who have helped you in the past. An "old friend" might be a character from a Bible story, a word of wisdom to help you out of a jam, or a promise from God that you can sink your teeth into. The "old friend" I came across today was from Psalm 112:7 –

"He is not afraid of bad news;
his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord."

My "old friend" had helped me a few years ago when a string of disappointments had left me spiritually winded. I was dreading the next wave of troubles. But Psalm 112:7 reassured me that bad news doesn't have to be met with fear. Rather, my heart can be firm, trusting the Lord.

Time has passed and new troubles have come (don't they always!). Economic woes, surgeries looming on the horizon, friends with struggles we help bear, discovery of new skin cancer to be cut out, the need for church growth, and…, well – you get the picture. Sometimes I am tempted to cancel my "news feeds" of life because I don't want to read anymore "bad news"!

But there he was this morning, my "old friend" – Psalm 112:7. He told me that bad news was sure to come to everyone ("no bad news" is not the promise!). But bad news does not have to be feared ("He is not afraid of bad news"). Why? Because we have a loving, sovereign God who is bigger than our bad news. Our God is working all things (including our "bad news") for our good. So my heart can (still) be firm, trusting the Lord.

So thanks "old friend" for being there with a word I needed then. And a word I needed now!

The well wisher of your soul's happiness,

Pastor Tom

No comments: