Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Healing Community

I felt it when I woke up this morning. After my drive from Georgia I felt it. After my third wipe-out on the kneeboard I really felt it! An ache and pain in my right hip (Okay – my right "cheek" to be specific!) that modulates between searing and tolerable. But it is always "there". Paul said it true, "our outer self is wasting away" – to that I can attest. Is having this constant ache "healthy"?

What exactly does it mean to be "healthy"? Does healthy mean free from every pain, ache, and condition? Does healthy mean I'm the biological equivalent of the six million dollar man? How about spiritual health? Does spiritual health mean we never struggle with the weaknesses of the flesh or bear the wounds of living in a broken world?

No, healthy means we are moving toward wholeness; spiritually, emotionally, and relationally. Healthy means we are aware of our weaknesses, but we keep moving forward, even though we limp. Healthy means we can be honest and open about our scars, sins, and struggles. We can begin to "confess [our] sins to one another, and pray for one another that [we] may be healed" (James 5:16)

We can do this because the debilitating effects of shame are cured in the gospel. We can do this because the exhausting work of projecting "I've-got-it-togetherness" is no longer necessary. In the gospel we find that Jesus has both exposed and taken our shame. In the gospel we find that only Jesus had it all together.

So we are in "gospel rehab" together. We care for one another's souls as wounded-healers. We journey as a healing community together. And I kinda think the world is waiting for this kind of church. How about you?

The well wisher of your soul's happiness,

Pastor Tom

No comments: