Tuesday, October 6, 2009

God’s Love and Compassion: a prayer

"…Pour out your heart before him, God is a refuge for us"

Psalm 62:8

"O Lord, you call me to pour out my heart before you, and I will pour. I ask of you, Lord, reveal my own heart to me. It has been so long since I poured out my heart to you. My heart has become backlogged, stagnant from the debris that has clogged it.

O Lord, to pour out my heart I have to know my hearts needs. I also have to know, without question, your willingness to be "poured upon". And yet who would ask another to "pour out your heart to me", but one filled with love and compassion?

O Lord, so pour I will! I pour out my yearning for you. I want so much to experience spiritual renewal, but it alludes me. The mire of distractions and responsibilities squeezes me.

So I pour out my heart for your help, O Lord. Bring me to a place of intimacy with you – to bask in your love, to experience your pleasure. I would seek you with all my heart!

I also pour out my heart in confession. Not the "big sins" but the small compromises have bogged me in the way. So help me to break out, to reignite the flame to burn again. You can change things in an instant! O lord, change my heart, change my focus. Great God of love and compassion – hear the "pourings" of my heart!

(Click here for passages to meditate upon this week)

The well wisher of your soul's happiness,

Pastor Tom

No comments: