Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Questions of the Heart

After I had settled down from the distress of a blown torque converter on I-75 last Saturday, I wondered what the Lord was doing in all of this. Okay, so I was not considering this trial “all joy” at the time, as James instructs us. But I was trying.

Our tattooed tow truck driver, Tony, gave me my answer. As we began to talk on our long drive from Ocala to Orlando, spiritual things became the focus. We talked the whole trip about the spiritual questions he had always had, but never talked to a “preacher” one on one about. And I discovered something I should have known: we all ask the same questions and struggle with the same issues, whether we are university intellectuals or guys on the “blue collar tour”. Tony and I talked about where God was when we suffer, why did He allow sin and evil in the world, where do we find meaning in life, and what is our destiny. Pretty heady stuff.

We wrestled through those issues (and more!), and I hope I was a helpful signpost (Tony said I was). I was reminded of our need to face these issues ourselves (with the help of C.S. Lewis, Tim Keller, Peter Kreeft, and others). But when all is said and done it boils down to a simple affirmation:

I may not have all the answers, but I know someone who does! When we arrived at our destination, I shared with Tony my hope that he would fall in love with Jesus, the one who knows suffering, defeats evil, gives meaning, and assures destiny!

I hope you too are drawing close and getting to know that someone!

The well wisher of your soul’s happiness,
Tom

No comments: