Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Sacrifice of Thanksgiving.

What do we give to God when we really don't feel up to giving much? God is not hungry or needy. Therefore he does not want our offerings of food or service to him. What he does want is a thankful heart:

Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and perform your vows to the Most High,
“and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” Psalm 50:14-15

But what do you do when you feel so beat down, stressed, or in need that you can’t muster up a grateful and thankful heart? The car is in the shop (again!), the jobs are tenuous and scarce, the kids are having problems, etc… Feelings like that are what I call a “Day of Trouble”! And what do we do in the day of trouble? We call upon the Lord for deliverance. And we start counting our blessings.

Here’s my list:

  • Food (I haven’t missed a meal!)
  • A/C, refridgeration, running water, indoor plumbing, electricity
  • A lake to swim in
  • Health Care
  • Breakthroughs (Janna got a job!)
  • Air to breathe
  • Breath!
  • A heart beat
  • Friends I could call on at anytime
  • Etc, etc, etc!

Now, add to those all the treasures we have in Christ:

  • Forgiveness of sin
  • Power of regeneration
  • A sovereign and loving Father
  • Prayer that is heard
  • Union with Christ through faith
  • Jesus – my example, savior, victor
  • Indwelling Holy Spirit
  • Hope of a great inheritance
  • Etc, etc, etc!

All of these (and more) become my “sacrifice of thanksgiving”. They also talk me off the ledge and calm my heart.

So call upon the Lord in the day of trouble. He will deliver you and you will glorify him. How will we glorify him? By our thankful hearts!

“The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me” Psalm 50:23

The well wisher of your soul’s happiness,

Pastor Tom

No comments: