Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Great Reversal

“He has brought down the mighty from their thrones
and exalted those of humble estate;
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.” Luke 1:52-32 (emphasis mine)

How come I never really thought about Mary’s “song” at Christmas? How come I never thought about the “great reversal” she sings of – you know, bringing down the mighty yet exalting the humble, sending the rich away but filling the hungry with good things? And how come my celebration of Christmas doesn’t look like that?

Can I really say I am celebrating Christmas if I am not doing something to exalt those of humble estate and filling the hungry with good things? Shouldn’t my affections, attention, and resources be spent on the humble and the hungry? Shouldn’t I at least be doing something to move my Christmas in that direction? Shouldn’t my Christmas be wrapped around those ideas?

Well, my Christmas should be wrapped around CHRIST (duh)!

But Jesus loves the humble and the hungry. And I love Him. So – I should love the humble and hungry too. And I can love Him by loving the humble and hungry (Matthew 25:34-40).

So let’s conspire together to wrap our minds around this concept, wrap our hearts around Christ, and wrap our arms around the humble and hungry!

That’s Christmas wrapping that Jesus really loves!

The well wisher of your soul’s happiness,
Pastor Tom

(p.s. See “mission” below for some ways to do this!)

(p.p.s. I want to hear your stories on how you are “spending less” yet “giving more” this year! Let’s share ideas on how we can give relationally and give redemptively this year! I’ll send out a post with the “idea bank”! www.rethinkingchristmas.com)

No comments: