Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Do you think God wants this to happen?

“May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.” 2 Thessalonians 3:5
Do you think God wants this to happen? You know, to “direct your hearts into the love of God and steadfastness of Christ”? Hmm, let’s see. He inspired Paul to offer this “benediction/prayer” for His people. He made sure it was recorded in the Bible so we could read it.
Do you think God wants this to happen? Do we want this to happen? What would it look like if God really answered this prayer? How awesome would that be?
Can you think of two experiences more beneficial and powerful in our spiritual lives/ Aren’t Love and Steadfastness exactly what we need and want? Anybody have too much of God’s love? Anybody overrun with Christ’s steadfastness? I didn’t think so.
So, what do you think would happen if we all prayed this, really prayed this, together? Do you think God would say, “Hmm, you know, I changed my mind. I don’t think I’ll answer that prayer.”? Or maybe he would say, “Yes! That is exactly what I wanted you to pray for! Yes, I love to answer prayers so obviously in my will!”
Yeah, I agree. He would love to answer that prayer.
Just like if our kid came to us saying, “Dad, could you help me be more consistent in doing my chores without having to be asked?” or “Hey Mom, I really want to be more respectful and obedient to you, could you help me brainstorm ways to do that?”
I kinda think that would be okay with us!
So, what do say we all commit to pray this prayer every day for ourselves, for our loved ones, and for our church? Do you think God would answer in ways we can’t imagine?
Me too!
The well wisher of your soul’s happiness,
Pastor Tom

No comments: