Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Probing Questions...

News Flash: God wants the Bible to change us! That’s right, Bible teaching is not to increase our body of knowledge but to transform our lives. So, now that we have worked our way through 2nd Thessalonians, let’s go back and ask ourselves some probing questions...

  • Can I say that my faith in Christ is growing, or have I become plateaued and stagnant? (1:3)
  • Am I treating others with increasing love and affection? Or do I simple love those who love me? (1:3)
  • Am I blaming any lack of zeal or action on my part on my circumstances or afflictions? (1:4)
  • Does the thought of the return of Christ provoke excitement within me? (1:10)
  • Does the glory of Christ captivate my imagination or am I distracted by technology, entertainment, and materialism? (1:10)
  • What ambitions do I have for the sake of Christ for my church? My community? The lost? (1:11)
  • Is my faith alive enough to prompt me to do anything new and different for the cause of Christ? Like what? (1:11)
  • Am I trusting God with my future or do I let the headlines and TV news dictate my confidence in the future? (2:8)
  • Does God’s Word govern and order my life, or only when convenient? (2:15)
  • What good works and good words am I praying that the Lord would establish? (2:16)
  • How hard am I praying that the word of the Lord would spread rapidly and be honored? Am I jealous for the fame of Christ? (3:1)
  • Is my heart’s love for God growing? (3:5)
  • Am I standing firm in my faith or just barely hanging on? (3:5)
  • Am I “walking in idleness” or am I a hard worker? (3:12)
  • Am I growing weary in doing good? Where do I need renewal and restoration? (3:13)

As you ponder those questions, center on 2 or 3 of the most crucial for your life. Now take some time to pray, “Lord, how do you want me to change?”

The well wisher of your soul’s happiness,
Pastor Tom

No comments: